div>

Friday, April 3, 2009

A-roi krub... again!

After the excellent (in spite of it being expired for more than six months) tom yum soup we had a couple of weeks earlier, we went back to Giant and bought ourselves more of the similar range of Thai food from Thai Kitchen. Apparently, Giant Hypermart brings this brand of products in by themselves so it explains why we could not find it anywhere else.

We decided to buy the tom yum kung again, and also purchased a tom kah khai, which is basically a tom yum stew of chicken with a creamy coconut milk base. It's been ages since I had a good one and thinking about it now brings me back 20 years to our Telok Blangah flat where this dish was normal fare whipped out by the Thai domestic helper we had back then.

It had been a crazy week and I was too lazy to cook, so I guess the tom kah khai came in really handy. The recipe called for chicken slices, but I was too lazy to debone the chicken parts we had in the freezer. Instead, I used the chicken pieces, with bones intact, and it still turned out wonderful. As with the tom yum kung before, all the ingredients were individually packed into several numbered packets, so all I had to do was boil some water and add the chicken pieces.

The final product was nothing short of wonderful. Penny was too stuffed to eat much, but I sipped up every last drop of soup.

Excellent!

No comments: