div>

Monday, April 23, 2007

Outwit, outplay, outlast... my ass!

Office politics suck. Period. No matter which way you look at it, be it a matter of 'survival of the fittest' or other such similar gobbledygook. Is it too much to ask for a job that we can truly enjoy and find satisfaction in contributing to the company's growth and profitability?

Recently, two of my colleagues have been the subject of this said politics and were left with no other choice but to tender their resignation (word on the street is that they received news of their impending termination by a 'politician' of higher stature). The company pulled a little stunt by issuing a memo notifying everyone of the reduction of notice period from 3 to 2 months, paid them off and bid them adieu. Just like that.

This has left the whole office in a state of disarray and those that are truly aware (i.e. me) of their true reason for departure feel disappointed and incensed all at the same time. This sense of disarray has left me suddenly feeling somewhat drained of any motivation to work.

'Will I be next?' I wonder. Word on the street is that there are more of such similar 'executions' in the pipeline. Will I be asked to go or will I be left behind to clear up the mess, or as the Hokkiens like to say 'kio sai' (pick up the poo-poo)?

**For the benefit of those who heard the rumours floating around: My colleagues were NOT terminated for any dishonest/cheating/embezzlement cases! They left of their own accord and the company merely paid them off for their notice period.**

No comments: