div>

Monday, October 8, 2007

Xtreme Singapore

I had the chance to be in the thick of the action of Xtreme Singapore on Saturday. We had gone in with Mountain Dew as the official drink (the high caffeine level is meant to get your heart pumping, thus the linkage with extreme sports... or something like that) so I was there to make sure everything was in place and that the event company we hired was doing their job.

Before the event even began, Murphy's Law caught up with the organisers. The electricity supply screwed up so they couldn't start the registration without the laptops and printers to do the necessary paperwork. For us that meant we couldn't turn on our chillers. Fortunately, I had prepared cooler boxes and some packs of ice so we could still chill our drinks. And it proved valuable as the day wore on with the sun blazing down mercilessly on us.

Our sucky sales aside, it was full steam ahead once the event went underway. It's amazing the amount of talent some of these kids have. There were three main groups: BMX, skateboard and in-line skates. It brought me back to my skating days - getting chased by the police for crossing the road on our decks, getting our names taken down for sitting on the steps of the War Memorial along Queen Elizabeth walk. But back then skating was a sub-culture. Kids nowadays are so blessed, with proper skate parks to go to and government backed events to showcase their talent.

I sat on the floor below the box-jump ramp to take some photos of the flying kids. I didn't realise I was sunburnt until I reached home and realised I was cooked like a lobster when Vel said "Daddy, why your face so red?".

If the stuff that kids can do are anything to go by, I'm definite the finals are going to be a blast. I'm soooo looking forward to that.

No comments: