div>

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rocking for the Rock of Salvation

The last concert I attended was when Coldplay and Travis performed at the Indoor Stadium in 2001 (I think; it was soooo long ago I can't even remember the exact year).

So when I heard the Planetshakers were coming again and that some of the youth from our church were attending the concert, I jumped at the invitation to join them. It's been a long time since I did some pogo-ing and punched my fists into the air.

My meeting ended early so I arrived at Sing Expo at 5.30pm. So I milled about for a bit, visiting the 7Elevens around the area. At 6pm I headed for the MRT station and saw Jedidiah there. The rest decided to honour us with their presence at about 6.30pm. After some delay, we finally joined the queue at about 6.45pm. And it was reeaally long. It barely moved and people were getting impatient. Apparently, you could get priority seating by registering on their website so those who had tickets could get in first. Dang.

We finally got in about an hour later and the concert started as promised at 8pm (they delayed it slightly due to the crowd). I never felt so old in my life, being surrounded by so many youths.

After a short prayer by the emcee, the concert got off to a rocking start as the Planetshakers came out singing 'Oh praise Him, Jesus, Jesus' (sung to the tune of the 'Ole, ole, ole!' soccer chant, what a way to get the crowd going). They sang many other great songs, mostly from their new album (but of course; they were selling it at the podium), for about an hour.

Next up was Tim Hughes, who surprisingly also rocked despite having a smaller band than the Planetshakers. He sang many crowd favourites such as 'Beautiful One' and 'One Way', which got many in the crowd (me inclusive) screaming at the top of our lungs.

The concert ended at about 10.30pm with an encore performance by both groups (it was deja vu, Coldplay and Travis did the same thing at that concert I attended) and it was a very loud encore indeed. In the end, we all came out with legs like jelly and Rod Stewart-esque voices from all the jumping and screaming respectively.

The kids were queueing up to get autographs on the CDs they had purchased (idolatry!). Me, I had to begin my long journey home as it was way past my bedtime. An enjoyable evening nonetheless despite the long wait.

No comments: