div>

Monday, July 14, 2008

Last day at work

Today marked the last day of my journey at YHS. Time has zipped by really quickly due to the tons of work that seemed to be always piling up, especially in the last 2 months when I took over the work of another colleague who left, despite my best efforts to get everything sorted out. The phrase ‘so much work but too little time’ seemed to take on a literal meaning for me. It was only logical then that I had slowly begun to doubt my own work efficiency.

It seemed like yesterday that I stepped into the company premises reporting for my first day of work (still recall my VP telling to remove my tie – apparently, to my relief, it wasn’t the culture here for guys to put on ties!). I was all revved up to get going, eager to prove myself. Over the next couple of months, I must say I definitely did. Time and again, there was always something waiting to blow up in my face. But by the grace and mercy of God, things always seemed to work out fine in the end despite me breaking out into a cold sweat at the beginning.

It’s a peculiar feeling when you wake up in the morning knowing that it’s your last day at work. Like people on their deathbed, you know that today would be the last chance for you to right the wrongs that you’ve always wanted to but never had the opportunity. Like these dying folks worrying about leaving out something in their will, I likewise pondered about the things I had to hand over, worrying that I may have omitted some little detail in my handover list that would snowball into something huge.

I (finally) sorted all my documents into proper files, having to hand them over to Desmond (my colleague who’s taking over me). And after so many months, I finally cleared tons of junk that served no purpose other than to clutter my already limited cubicle space (I seem to be removing a lot of clutter in my life lately). My cubicle was finally clear and I was so proud of myself!

Leaving the office at 9.30pm, I was actually quite sad. While this job has given me many sleepless nights, I am going to miss all my colleagues who had grown to become friends over the 10 months I was here. A wise man (can’t remember who) once said ‘The only certain thing in life is change and progress’. I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Adios, amigos…

No comments: