div>

Monday, July 9, 2007

So long, dumbass!

My nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon was disrupted by my vibrating phone with an incoming SMS. It read: 'Rennie, u seem to be busy so i decided 2 change tutor. Cd u do last tuition 2moro? I will pay. Sorry.'

Without giving it much thought, I just replied my acknowledgement and went back to sleep. I guess my student's mum was finally tired of my constant rescheduling of the lessons and what not. Honestly, I don't blame her. I would be pissed too if I were her because the boy ain't gonna sit around all day waiting for me to turn up!

Funny thing is, I was just asking God the other day how would I be able to cope with all these extra tuition jobs if and when a new job opportunes itself? If I had to travel, would the parents be so kind as to let me off as and when I wanted? How do I break it to the parents that I would not be able to teach their kids anymore? But that's the amazing part about the awesome God that we serve, He sees your heart and answers your innermost prayers.

It's been a gruelling but satisfying 6 months. Since the first lesson when I turned up clothed in my reservist gear (and probably freaking the parents out in the process) to the time when he came back with the astonishing results for his mid-term, I must say it's been a blessing and a joy to have imparted some of my knowledge to someone else. I just hope and pray that this knowledge I shared has made a difference in his life, which he will put into practical use somewhere down the road.

I can't take all the credit, though. Kevin is a smart boy with a good brain in his head, although sometimes he chooses to channel that intelligence elsewhere. Like cooking up stories as to why he never did his homework, bargaining for an extra 10 mins to finish up his Ben 10, etc. He has taken well to my teachings and though he has idiosyncracies which make me want to strangle him sometimes (like cutting me off halfway to ask me really bo liao questions), I have to admit he has come a long way from when we first started.

Like the song goes:

'It's closing time, a new beginning always comes from some other beginning's end'.

This chapter of my life has ended and it's time to move on. So long, dumbass. You will be missed...

No comments: