div>

Saturday, January 19, 2008

'Guan beh zuay lee eh meng tor'

All of us have our guilty pleasures; some listen to Backstreet Boys when they are driving alone, some gorge themselves silly with potato chips when nobody is looking. Me, I love listening to Hokkien songs. There's something heart wrenching yet at the same time endearing about Hokkien songs that no other English song is able to express in a similar capacity.

Just a few days back, Penny came to me ranting and raving about this Hokkien worship song that Nancy had passed to her. She said that this song somehow touched her and she cried when she first heard it.

So this morning we played it in the room and I was amazed. Such simplicity in the lyrics but yet so true, I wanted to cry as well. Below is a rough English translation of the song:

BEING THE LORD’S DISCIPLE
words and music by Kelvin Soh

Hold my hand, Lord Jesus
I ask for Your protection and your guidance
Protect my heart and guide my steps
That I may never stray from Your way

Hold my hand, Lord Jesus
I ask of You to open the way for me
Step by step, following Your footsteps
Never afraid of how difficult the path may be

CHORUS:
Lord Jesus, oh, Lord Jesus
I want to be Your disciple
Lord Jesus, oh, Lord Jesus
I want to be Your disciple

Somehow the English translation doesn't seem to carry across the same sentiments as the original version. This song is just beautiful and I can't it out of my head.

It's beautiful because it basically summarises Luke 9:23: Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me".

And we all know how difficult that can be.

No comments: