div>

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Punch Buggy redux - continued

We finally made arrangements and got down to jamming at Mel's place. After going around in circles (why do all these private housing estates all look the same??) I found Mel's place and went up to his 'studio'.

I was really taken aback by the state his drum set was in. And to think he paid $800 of his gig money to get it! The metal parts were all rusty, the bass drum sounded like crap and it came with one 10" splash and 18" ride cymbals. It made me sad just looking at it. I mean, what was I supposed to do with only one 10" splash? The least they could do was throw in a 12"!

Then I was reminded 'In all things give thanks', so I thank the Lord that at least we had a drumset to use. Selwyn, our bassist, turned up a short while later so after the usual pleasantries we got down to it.

Although I screwed up a little here and there (Mel and Selwyn had already been playing together for a few years prior to our reunion), overall it was quite a good jam. Mel was up to his usual nonsense (the chord structures for all his songs are more or less similar) and it felt like how it was 12 years ago. We covered about four songs within an hour and a half so it wasn't that shoddy at all.

I'm so looking forward to the next jamming session. Drum set needs a little maintenance though.

No comments: