div>

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

So long, farewell and goodbye...

It sucks to be retrenched. Somehow, it just feels weird to be asked to leave not because you’re incapable of carrying out your tasks, but because the company is screwed up and had to close shop just slightly less than 2 years after its inception.

The whole office was abuzz with excitement since the beginning of the day. We all knew what was coming. I was busy packing my stuff (my beloved toys especially, placing them back into their original packaging) and I didn’t realise I had so much junk to clear! Unknowingly, the office had become like a second home to me and when I first joined the company, I could see myself staying on for quite a while. Little did I expect that the 'a while' would only last a mere 1 year and 11 months.


I was the first to get the letter, so when I came out of the room, I put on a MediaCorp Star Search worthy performance and pretended to cry, 'Wah lau eh! Teow pok liao ah!' (means to get axed or fired in Hokkien). It cracked everybody up. Funnily enough, the people who were asked to leave were the ones laughing and joking. I guess we felt more relief than anything else that we were all being pulled out of a shithole.

The ones who really cried, however, were those who were asked to stay. I'm sure they could see the huge pile of mess that they would have to clear in the days to come before the company FINALLY decides to call it quits (the phones were already ringing non-stop with calls from stores that did not receive their bread for the day).

God knows when will that be. But I'm really glad He pulled me out so that I won't be around to find out. It's really sad and disappointing that it had to end like this. We were capable of so much more, if only the management had more foresight. But it was definitely fun while it lasted.

No comments: